An easy, decadent treat, One-Bowl Double Chocolate Banana Breakfast Muffins are just the thing for mornings on-the-go. Gluten-free, dairy-free, naturally sweetened and totally delicious!
2 large eggs
¼ cup melted coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
1 ⅓ cup mashed (very-ripe) banana
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups oat flour*
⅓ cup cocoa powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
⅓ cup dark chocolate chips, plus more for topping**
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut oil, banana, maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- Add the oat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Stir gently until just incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Fill each muffin tin section with roughly ¼ cup batter, then bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the edges begin to pull away from the sides and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then cool the rest on a cooling rack.
*Make your own oat flour for this recipe by placing 1 ¾ cups whole rolled oats in a blender and blending until a coarse flour forms. You can also purchase pre-made oat flour at many grocery stores and natural food markets or online. If you are gluten-free be sure to buy oats that are specifically labeled gluten-free.
**Most chocolate chips include dairy. Be sure to use dairy-free if that’s important to you. I like Enjoy Life brand.
Skip the chocolate chips to keep this recipe completely refined sugar-free, or double them for an extra decadent treat.
Store the muffins, tightly sealed, in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Bring to room temperature or gently warm before enjoying.