Easy to make and delicious to eat, One-Bowl Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies are a sweet and wholesome way to start the day!
Do you think maybe I should just start a blog devoted entirely to breakfast cookies?
I mean, they are easy to make, packed full of goodness, and are the perfect grab-and-go option for busy weekday mornings.
And, as I’ve written about before, they are a great way to get little ones to eat breakfast. At least my little one. Who is currently happy to subsist entirely off of fruit, carbs, and milk.
At least with these breakfast cookies I know she’s getting some good fats, protein, and plenty of fiber. And since they come in cookie form (including CHOCOLATE!!) she gobbles them right up.
You can, of course, skip the chocolate if you want to keep these completely refined sugar free. I love adding a little bit of chocolate, though, because they make the cookies seem decadent and the rich, chocolatey flavor pairs perfectly with the sweet, tangy cranberries.
If you want to mix things up with these breakfast cookies, try swapping raisins for the cranberries, or white chocolate for the dark chocolate chips. Chopped pecans or hazelnuts would also make lovely additions.
I plan to make a double batch to deliver to teachers as gifts prior to the holiday break, and they’d make a (healthy) addition to any Christmas cookie platter you have planned.
As a side note, these breakfast cookies hold a particularly special place in my heart, as they are the first recipe tested and photographed in my new kitchen!
I’m still learning the quirks of my new oven (there have been a few during incidents during the process), but I’m thrilled to be back in the house and looking forward to sharing many more recipes and photos of the final renovation in the coming months.
Running a food blog without a kitchen was not the easiest task in the world, but I think the final results are worth it. These breakfast cookies, then, represent the first of many yummy recipes coming your way from the new space.
So here’s to new beginnings and tasty breakfast treats–I do hope you’ll make a batch of these soon. Now, let’s make some One-Bowl Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Use raisins in place of dried cranberries.
2 | Swap white chocolate chips for dark chocolate chips.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Naturally Sweetened and Vegetarian
One-Bowl Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
- ½ cup melted coconut oil plus more for greasing the pan
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups oat flour*
- 2 cups whole rolled oats
- ⅓ cup ground flax seed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup naturally sweetened dried cranberries**
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips***
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Add the oat flour, rolled oats, flax, salt, and baking powder, stirring until well combined.
- Add the cranberries and chocolate chips, stirring until well incorporated. If the mixture seems wet, allow to sit for a few minutes for the liquid to absorb into the oat flour.
- Scoop heaping tablespoons of the mixture onto 2 greased baking sheets.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until slightly golden and cooked through.