Instant Pot Creamy Tomato Soup comes together in a matter of minutes and is creamy, dreamy, sweet and savory. Say hello to your new favorite paleo, whole30, vegan soup recipe!
½ cup raw, unsalted cashews
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 large garlic cloves, minced or grated
1½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1 (28-oz can) crushed or diced tomatoes
⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes
1 6-oz can tomato paste
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1/4 cup chopped basil (optional)
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and cover with boiling or very hot water. Set aside.
- Set the saute function in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker for 8 minutes.
- Add the olive oil, onions, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt, and saute for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the stock, crushed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and 1 ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Place into the pressure cooker, along with the honey (if using) stirring to combine.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until well combined and very smooth, about 2 minutes. If you don’t have an immersion blender, carefully ladle the cooked tomato mixture into a blender, working in batches. Make sure the lid is on tightly, cover with a towel, and blend until well combined and very smooth.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve hot, topping with scallions and basil if you like.
Looking for a nut-free alternative? Swap in a half cup of heavy cream or full-fat coconut milk for the cashews.
I love serving this soup with One-Bowl Cornbread Muffins.