A quick, easy breakfast you can prepare ahead of time, Make Ahead Rainbow Veggie Egg Cups are the perfect healthy, portable, vegetable-filled morning meal.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 red bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup chopped)
1 orange bell pepper, finely chopped (about 1 cup chopped)
4 green onions, white and green parts, finely chopped (about 1 cup chopped)
1 teaspoon salt, divided
8 large eggs
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the bell pepper, green onion, and ½ teaspoon salt. Saute until the vegetables are soft and tender stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Add the cooled sauteed veggies to the egg mixture and whisk again until well combined.
- Pour the egg and veggie mixture into a greased or silicone lined muffin tin. The mixture should come to near the top of each cup.
- Bake the egg cups for 20 minutes, or until puffed and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. Serve warm or refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 days. Alternatively, place the cooled cups on a baking sheet in the freezer. Allow to freeze completely, then place in a zip-top bag or tightly sealed container for up to a month.
These Egg Cups are a big hit with kids, but here are some options for resistant eaters:
- Allow him to select the veggies to be used in the Egg Cups. For example, at the store offer the chance to pick the color of pepper he prefers.
- Have her help with the Egg Cup prep by pouring in the cooled, cooked veggies and by whisking the eggs.
- If she’s not a fan of peppers or onions try substituting a more preferred veggie.