Packed with protein and veggies, these colorful Make-Ahead Butternut, Spinach & Sausage Egg Cups are easy to prepare and make a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack.
12 ounces precooked chicken apple sausage, chopped*
½ cup chopped red onion
2 cups chopped butternut squash
1 8-oz package frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed very dry
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
12 large eggs
- Heat the oven to 375F.
- Place the sausage, red onion, and butternut squash on a rimmed sheet pans (you may need to use two sheet pans to avoid over-crowding). Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, and toss to combine.
- Place the pans in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and stir the mixture gently. Return to the oven and roast an additional 10 minutes, or until everything is golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Turn the heat down to 350F.
- Whisk the eggs together with the cooled, roasted veggies and the spinach in a large bowl along with ½ teaspoon salt.
- Pour the egg mixture into a 12-cup muffin tin (use silicone liners to avoid sticking), dividing the mixture evenly between the cups. The mixture should come near to the top of each cup.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until puffed and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve warm, or refrigerate in a tightly sealed container for up to 4 days.
- Alternatively place the cooled cups on a baking sheet in the freezer. Allow to freeze completely, then place in a zip top bag or tightly sealed container for up to a month.
* Look for sausage without added sugar, artificial nitrates, or nitrites. Read the labels to be sure.
Use delicata or kabocha squash in place of butternut.
Omit the sausage for a vegetarian version.