These Lemony Chicken Skewers with Chopped Greek Salad are just the thing for cooking out with friends or a warm summer evening at home.
2 cloves garlic, grated or finely minced
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon oregano
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken (breasts, thighs, or a combination of both)
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 red onion
1 English cucumber, chopped
2 bell peppers, chopped
¼ cup kalamata olives
- Place wooden skewers in water to soak.
- Make the marinade and dressing by zesting (to make about 1 tablespoon zest) and jucing (to make about ¼ cup juice) the lemons. Add the salt, honey, and oregano, then whisk until the honey has dissolved. Stream in the olive oil, then whisk until well combined.
- Cut ¾ of the red onion into 1-pieces, reserving the remaining ¼ for the salad. Cut the chicken breasts or thighs into 1-inch pieces.
- Make the skewers by alternating cherry tomatoes, red onion, and chicken on the soaked bamboo skewers, then place in a shallow baking dish. Pour ½ cup of the marinade over the skewers, toss to coat, then cover and chill for at least 20 minutes and up to 4 hours.
- While the skewers marinate, combine the cucumber, bell peppers, red onion, kalamata olives, and remaining cherry tomatoes in a bowl. Pour the remaining dressing over the vegetables and stir to combine.
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Remove the skewers from the marinade and grill for 10-15 minutes, turning once, until chicken is golden brown and cooked through.
- Serve the skewers hot with the salad alongside. Add an extra squeeze of lemon and a sprinkle of salt to taste.
This dinner includes many kid-friendly flavors, but if you have a resistant eater here are some suggestions:
- Serve raw chopped cucumber, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, and olives along with the chicken skewers separately on a plate.
- Add some whole wheat pitas to round out the meal.