A few simple ingredients combine in these decadent, naturally-sweetened, 5-Ingredient Joyful Chocolate Bites.
You know that time after the dinner when the dishes are put away, the kids are in bed, and you settle in for the night to watch a good show, read a great book, or catch up on social media?
I look forward to that moment all day because it allows for a little rest and restorative time before heading to bed and rolling into the next day.
I’ll admit, though, that this time is also one of the trickiest.
Tricky because after settling into the couch for the nigh my mind immediately turns to sweets. Can you relate?
I’ve learned that it’s best not to keep sugary treats in the house because of these night-time craving, but that doesn’t mean I’m not always looking for a better option!
I’ve found over the years that the best way to deal with evening-time sweet cravings is to keep a few naturally-sweetened options on hand so I can indulge a little without adding refined sugar into the equation.
What I love most about these little bites is how fantastically simple they are to prepare, that they contain only a few, minimally processed ingredients, and that they taste absolutely decadent.
I’ve adapted the original recipe quite a bit to include fewer ingredients and so that they can be prepared into a smaller serving size. They store perfectly in the fridge, or in the freezer if you prefer a cold treat.
I hope these little bites bring some joy to your evening ritual (or anytime of day.) Now, let’s make some 5-Ingredient Joyful Chocolate Bites!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Use peanut butter in place of almond butter, or substitute sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option.
2 | Use any toppings you like and have on hand.
3 | I like to use a silicone candy mold for this recipe because the bites come out easily and because I prefer the smaller portion size.
If you don’t have a silicone mold, mini-cupcake liners will also work. You can use regular cupcake liners as well, just keep in mind the the serving size will be larger.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, naturally sweetened, refined sugar-free, vegetarian, vegan, and paleo friendly
5-Ingredient Joyful Chocolate Bites
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 7 tablespoons coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- For topping: toasted unsweetened coconut, chopped toasted almonds, and/or cacao nibs (optional)
- Add all the ingredients (cocoa powder through salt) to a small saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring frequently, until all the ingredients are just melted and combined. Remove from heat.
- Refrigerate for 2-3 hours or freeze for 15 to 20 minutes until set. Store refrigerated or frozen.