Instant Pot Turkey Paleo Pumpkin Chili is a simple, healthy one-pot meal that can be prepared in a matter of minutes. A gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 recipe.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
2 pounds ground dark meat turkey
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 medium yellow red bell pepper, finely chopped
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
Optional toppings: chopped scallion, chopped cilantro, sliced jalapeno, sliced avocado, sour cream, cheese
- Add the olive oil to an electric pressure cooker. Turn to saute, add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt, and saute for 6 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the turkey, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, stirring to break into chunks. Saute for an additional 4 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle in the garlic, cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika, and saute 1 minute, until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the bell pepper, tomato sauce, pumpkin, chicken stock and 1 teaspoon salt, stirring to combine.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Remove the lid and add the lime juice. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve with additional toppings if you like.
- Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Follow steps 1-3, omitting the stock.
- Bring to a high simmer, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer 20-30 minutes until thick.
- Add the lime juice and serve.
The chili will be on the thin side just after cooking. Allow it to sit for 10-15 minutes and it will thicken.
Serve with all the optional toppings in small bowls to create a DIY chili bar.
Encourage your child to top his or her own chili however they like.
Prefer to make it in the crockpot? Check out this recipe!