Super fresh and packed with flavor, Instant Pot Loaded Mexican Chicken Soup in a one-pot dinner you’ll want to make again and again. A gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo, whole30 recipe.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon mild chili powder
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
3 small zucchinis, sliced in half the long way, then sliced into 1-inch half moons
1 quart chicken stock
3 cups baby spinach or baby kale
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
2 limes, juiced
Optional toppings: chopped cilantro, chopped scallions, sliced avocado, lime wedges, hot sauce
- Add the olive oil to an electric pressure cooker. Turn to saute, add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and saute for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder, stirring to combine.
- Add the chicken, tomato sauce, zucchini, remaining 1 ¾ teaspoon salt, and chicken stock, stirring to combine.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 15 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, quick release the pressure.
- Remove the chicken, chop or shred into bite sized pieces and add back to the pot. Stir in the spinach or kale, cherry tomatoes, and lime juice. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Top with any toppings you like and serve.
Want to make this recipe in the Crockpot? Check out this variation.
Make it vegetarian by swapping 2 (15-oz) cans drained and rinsed chickpeas for the chicken and vegetable stock for chicken stock
Skip the chili powder if you prefer to avoid spicy.
Double the spinach or kale for an extra boost of goodness.