This Energizing Bliss Salad with Beets, Avocado, and Basil is packed with fresh veggies and topped with a sprinkle of hemp seeds and a handful of fresh basil. Full of fiber, fat, and protein, it’s sure to keep you going and energized all day long.
The inspiration for this salad came to me during lunch at Prasad, one of my favorite Portland restaurants. They have a Beet Bliss Salad on the menu and after reading the ingredients I knew I had to recreate it at home. Each ingredient is amazing on its own, but together they make something really special.
I use a spiralizer for the beets in this recipe, but if you don’t have one not to worry. Simply grate them along with the carrots and you’re good to go. After the beets are spiralized or grated they get a quick marinade in the dressing, which helps tenderize them and adds a bit more flavor to the salad. If you don’t have arugula, spinach will work well here as a base, and if you’re not a fan of walnuts try substituting almonds, pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds.
This salad is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo and barre3 Challenge friendly. It makes a great lunch or side dish and also works well for potlucks. If you’re making the salad ahead of time keep the beets, dressing, and walnuts separate, tossing everything together at the last minute to keep the salad from wilting.
Now, onto the recipe!
Energizing Bliss Salad with Beets, Avocado, and Basil
For the Beets:
- 1 medium beet scrubbed
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
For the Dressing:
- 1 small clove garlic finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey substitute maple syrup to make this vegan
- 1 lemon juiced
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
For the Salad:
- 5 oz baby arugula
- 2 large carrots scrubbed and grated or spiralized
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup currants or raisins
- ¼ cup dried figs chopped
- 1 large avocado chopped
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- 8 basil leaves chopped
- Using a spiralizer or box grater, spiralize or grate the beet. Place in a small bowl, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, then add the apple cider vinegar. Stir, then set aside.
- Combine the minced garlic, ½ teaspoon salt, black pepper, honey, lemon juice, and olive oil in a small bowl. Whisk until well combined.
- Combine the arugula, carrots, walnuts, currants or raisins, and dried figs in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing, tossing to combine. Arrange on plates or on a large platter.
- Remove the beets from the apple cider vinegar marinade, discarding the marinade. Top with the salad with the marinated beets, then sprinkle with hemp seed and basil leaves. Serve immediately.