Vibrant and packed with bright, seasonal flavors, Celebration Salad with Citrus Dressing is easy to pull together and makes a welcome addition to any holiday table.
This salad, you guys. This salad is everything. It’s vibrant and sweet and tangy and crunchy and creamy and downright delicious. And it’s also incredibly simple to make. No cooking required, either, just assembling a few ingredients and whisking together a tangy citrus dressing. Then drizzle and toss and dig in!
When menu planning for a party or holiday I always add a big green salad to balance and brighten the meal. The flavors in this Celebration Salad in particular are a great addition, as the colors are really stunning on a holiday buffet. The parts of the salad and the dressing can also be prepared ahead. All you need to do is toss everything together when you’re ready and serve.
As a true Oregon girl I love hazelnuts in this recipe, but if you prefer pecans or walnuts feel free to substitute. The sturdiness of baby kale really works in this recipe, but if you can’t find it baby spinach will also work. You certainly don’t need to save this one for a formal holiday, either. As far as I’m concerned making it through a Monday is cause for celebration, so grab these simple ingredients and let’s make a salad!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Deconstruct this salad for resistant eaters by serving each part separately on a plate. Think a little pile of kale, some orange slices, pomegranate seeds, hazelnuts, and a little dressing on the side for dipping.
2 | Substitute baby spinach for baby kale or pecans or walnuts for hazelnuts.
3 | If you can’t find ripe avocados, crumbled feta would be a great creamy substitute.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegetarian, and Refined Sugar-Free
Celebration Salad with Citrus Dressing
- 9- oz baby kale
- 2 navel oranges sliced into segments save the leftover juice for the dressing
- ⅓ cup pomegranate arils seeds
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 medium ripe avocados sliced
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts coarsely chopped
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Make the dressing by whisking together the orange and lemon juice, salt, honey and pepper. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil, whisking until the dressing is well combined.
- In a large bowl toss together the kale, orange slices, pomegranate arils, and green onions with 4-6 tablespoons of dressing. Taste and add additional dressing as needed, saving any extra for another use. Top with avocado slices, hazelnuts, and a pinch more salt if you like. Serve immediately.