6-Ingredient Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Chili is an insanely simple and totally tasty recipe to throw together any night of the week.
1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
2 (15-oz) cans chili beans, drained and rinsed*
1 (15-oz) jar chunky salsa, divided**
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon kosher salt
Optional toppings: sliced avocado, fresh lime juice, sour cream, chopped green onion, chopped cilantro
- Place the chicken, tomato sauce, beans, half the salsa, cumin, garlic and salt in a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 6-8, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken, shred with two forks for chop into bite sized pieces, and add back to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining salsa, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve with any toppings you like.
Instant Pot variation:
- Place the chicken, tomato sauce, beans, half the salsa, cumin, garlic and salt in a 6-quart pressure cooker.
- Cover and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Continue with steps 3 and 4 above.
*Black beans or pinto beans will also work.
**Look for a good quality, jarred salsa without any added sugar or preservatives. Use mild, medium, or hot, whatever you prefer.
Use mild salsa to keep this one kid-friendly, or kick it up a notch with a spicy variety.
Add an extra pound of chicken to bulk up the protein for hungry eaters.
Skip the chicken and double the beans for a meat-free option.