The perfect recipe for when you’re short on time but still want a delicious, real food dinner, 5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Fajita Salsa Chicken is a snap to prep and requires just a handful of ingredients.
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1–2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
1–2 medium bell pepper (red, yellow, orange or green), thinly sliced
1 16-oz jar or container salsa, divided (any brand you like, avoid those with added sugar or ingredients you can’t pronounce)
½ teaspoon salt
Juice of 1 lime (about 2 tablespoons)
- Add the chicken, onions, peppers, about ⅔ of the salsa, and salt to a 6-quart slow cooker, stirring to combine.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken and vegetables are very tender.
- Uncover and remove the chicken to a cutting board. Shred with two forks or cut into pieces.
- If there is a lot of liquid in the slow cooker you can drain some off or leave it all in, depending on whether you want a drier or saucier consistency.
- Add back the chicken, the remaining salsa, and lime juice, stirring everything together. Taste and add additional salt, lime juice or salsa if you like.
- Vegetable Side Suggestion: 5-Ingredient Everyday Creamy Slaw
- Set aside some of the cooked, shredded chicken for resistant eaters. Serve with a veggie of choice.
- Use whatever salsa you like, just be sure to check the ingredient list and try to avoid brands with added sugar or with ingredients you can’t pronounce.
- This chicken and veggie mixture is extremely versatile, so serve it however you like. Stuffed into tacos, wrapped in lettuce leaves, over brown rice, or just as it is.
- Feel free to pile on the toppings. Think sliced avocado, sour cream, grated cheese, chopped cilantro, green onions, or hot sauce.