5-Ingredient Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Chicken is simple to prepare and yields super tender chicken in a sweet and savory sauce that everyone in the family will love.
2 medium sweet, crisp apples (such as Honeycrisp or Fuji), cored and chopped
1 medium yellow onion, very thinly sliced
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
¾ cup unsweetened apple cider, divided
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
- Place the apples and onions in the base of a 6-quart slow cooker. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt, tossing to combine.
- Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with an additional ½ teaspoon salt and garlic powder.
- Place the chicken on top of the onion and apple mixture. Pour over ½ cup apple cider. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6, or until the chicken very tender and cooked through.
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board. Shred with two forks, then place back into the slow cooker, add the remaining ¼ cup apple cider, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or apple cider to taste.
- Serve the Apple Cider Pulled Chicken over greens, rice, quinoa, baked sweet potato, or piled into whole wheat or gluten-free buns. Top with Quick Apple Slaw.
Serve over greens, rice, quinoa, baked sweet potato, or piled into whole wheat or gluten-free buns. Top with Quick Apple Slaw.
Serve the shredded chicken plain, with a pinch of salt and the sauce from the slow cooker on the side. Add sliced apple and the Quick Apple Slaw on the side, or swap in a chopped raw veggie of choice.
While apple cider adds the richest flavor for this recipe, apple juice can be used in its place if that’s what you have on hand.
Store the leftover shredded chicken tightly covered in the fridge for 2-4 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.