The perfect, simple dinner, 5-Ingredient Lemon Herb Roast Chicken is easy to make with just a handful of ingredients, and yields delicious results every time.
1 (4-5 pound) whole roasting chicken
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
2 medium or 1 large sweet potato, cut into 2-inch pieces (optional)
1 large red onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Heat the oven to 425F.
- Remove the giblets from the chicken. Place the chicken, breast side up, in a shallow roasting pan.
- Gently slide 2-3 lemon slices under the skin of each chicken breast. Tuck any remaining lemon slices or ends into the chicken cavity. Arrange the sweet potatoes and onions around the chicken (if using).
- Drizzle the chicken (and veggies, if using) with olive oil, and sprinkle evenly with salt and Italian seasoning.
- Roast the chicken for 1-1 ½ hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and thigh and the internal temperature reaches 165F. If the skin starts to brown too much during the roasting process, cover gently with aluminum foil.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest, covered loosely with aluminum foil, for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken and serve with the roasted sweet potatoes, red onion (if using), and any juices that accumulated in the pan.
Use whatever type of citrus you like to flavor the chicken: lime, orange, or tangerine all work well.
Roast any type of sturdy root vegetable or winter squash with the chicken, or on a separate rimmed baking sheet. Waxy red potatoes, carrots, parsnips, butternut squash–whatever you like and have on hand.