5-Ingredient Instant Pot “Rotisserie” Whole Chicken is the easiest way to get a chicken dinner on the table. A simple and delicious gluten-free, dairy-free, grain-free, paleo, and whole30 friendly recipe.
4–5 pound whole chicken, giblets removed*
1 small yellow onion, quartered
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 cup chicken stock
- Place the onion inside the chicken. Pat the outside dry with a paper towel.
- Mix together the salt, garlic powder, and smoked paprika in a small bowl. Sprinkle the mixture over the outside of the chicken, patting gently to help the mixture adhere if necessary.
- Add the chicken stock to a 6-quart electric pressure cooker.
- Add the steamer insert, then place the chicken, breast-side up, in the pressure cooker.
- Secure the lid, select the manual setting, and set it to high pressure for 30 minutes.
- When the pressure cooker timer is done, allow the pressure to naturally release for 15 minutes, then quick release (if necessary) and remove the lid.
- Remove and allow the chicken to rest, 10-15 minutes, before serving.
- Note that at this point the skin will not be crispy. If you prefer just the meat, remove the skin and serve as is. If you prefer crispy skin, carefully place the chicken on a foil lined sheet pan. Place under the broiler, and broil 5-8 minutes, until the skin in browned and crispy.
*If using a smaller chicken. you may need to reduce the total cooking time.
Each pressure cooker is different so times may vary depending on brand, temperature of chicken when you begin cooking, even the size of your pressure cooker can make a difference.
Save the onion, chicken carcass, and cooking liquid to make chicken bone broth.
Looking for a slow cooker option? Try this one!
No smoked paprika? No problem! Swap in regular paprika, or any other savory spice you like.
Shredded leftover chicken is super versatile. Use it in salads, bowls, or sandwiches.