Packed with goodness and done in under 30-minutes, Beef & Butternut Paleo Chili is sure to become a weeknight staple!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cups finely chopped cremini mushrooms*
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound ground beef, preferably grass-fed
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon mild chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 cups 1-inch cubed butternut squash
1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
1 cup water
Chopped scallions, cilantro, and sliced avocado for serving (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the onion, mushrooms, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions and mushrooms soften, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the beef, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until browned.
- Add the cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the butternut squash, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, tomato sauce, and water, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on medium-low for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender.
- Taste and add additional salt if desired. Serve warm with scallion, cilantro, and avocado if desired.
*For a vegetarian alternative, triple the mushrooms and omit the beef.
If you don’t have or don’t want to use mushrooms use 2 pounds of ground beef instead.
Use a food processor to chop the onions and mushroom into very fine pieces for resistant eaters who may not like the texture of mushrooms.
Once cooked, mash the butternut squash into the chili, then stir together for resistant eaters. They probably won’t even know it’s there.