Creamy, dreamy, and packed with protein, Sweet Pea Power Pesto Avocado Toast is easy to whip up and perfect for a quick lunch or festive brunch.
I’m so excited to share this vibrant, flavorful recipe with you today.
It’s packed with flavor, has tons of plant-based protein from the peas and pumpkin seeds, and is downright delicious.
The ingredients and verdant green color of the pesto evoke such a lovely feeling of spring.
Of promise, new beginnings, and the joy of a new season.
What recipe better, then, to celebrate a new baby?
Like all good things in life, I think new babies are best celebrated with real food, and I’ve been honored to host more baby showers than I can count over the years.
Including this incredible real food brunch baby shower for my sister’s baby, Ayla, that I shared with you here on the blog.
And of course this Crunchy Curry Quinoa Salad recipe created in honor of my childhood best friend’s baby, Graham.
Today we celebrate baby Larson.
Larson is the beautiful new son of Sonja and Alex of A Couple Cooks, and I honestly couldn’t be more smitten.
Larson is the answer to literally thousands of prayers, and there’s nothing more I’d Rather celebrate.
Since a proper brunch isn’t feasible given the distance between us, I thought a virtual version was in order in honor of this perfect little family of three.
And what could be better for brunch than avocado toast?
This version has an extra special kick from the addition of power pea pesto, and is loaded with all the good stuff. Plus, it’s super easy to make and bowl-licking good.
I hope you’ll make this one soon, whether for a special brunch or simple lunch at home. It’s one of my new favorites, and I hope you’ll love it to.
Welcome Larson and congratulations Sonja and Alex. Sending tons of love and all the good vibes. xxoo
Now, let’s make Sweet Pea Power Pesto Avocado Toast!
RECIPE & KID-FRIENDLY ADAPTATIONS
1 | Not feeling toast? Toss with warm pasta and a little pasta cooking water to thin the pesto. Yum!
2 | If you can’t find or don’t want to use pepitas, sunflower seeds will work instead.
THIS RECIPE IS . . .
Naturally Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, Soy-Free, Vegetarian, and Vegan
Sweet Pea Power Pesto Avocado Toast
- ½ cup frozen peas defrosted (or fresh, shelled peas)
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup toasted pepitas pumpkin seeds
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast*
- ½ cup ripe avocado
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices of gluten-free or whole wheat bread toasted
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- ½ cup pea shoots
- ¼ teaspoon flaked sea salt
- Add the peas, garlic, pepitas, nutritional yeast, avocado, lemon juice, and salt to a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined. Turn to high and drizzle in the olive oil. Continue to blend until smooth.
- Divide the pesto between the four slices of toast. Spread evenly, then top with sliced avocado, radish slices, pea shoots, and a sprinkle of sea salt.