Simple pantry ingredients come together in this creamy, dreamy 20-Minute Tomato Cream Sauce. Gluten-free, dairy-free, crazy easy, and completely divine!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 (28-oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons tomato paste
⅓ cup full-fat coconut milk (from a can)
Red pepper flakes (optional)
Chopped fresh parsley or basil for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook for 5-8 minutes, until very soft and slightly browned, stirring frequently.
- Add the garlic and garlic powder, stirring constantly over medium heat for about 30 seconds, until lightly browned.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Simmer over medium-low for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, and an additional ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring to combine. Taste and add additional salt or red pepper flakes if desired.
- Serve with gluten-free or whole wheat pasta, or as a sauce for chicken or fish, sprinkled with red pepper flakes, parsley and basil if you like.
Serve this sauce over whole wheat or gluten free pasta, or over chicken or fish.
If serving over pasta, bump up the protein by adding some pan sautéed shrimp or chicken.