A quick, simple dinner recipe, 20-Minute Spaghetti with Chicken and Veggies comes together in minutes and is full of bright and satisfying flavors.
½ pound whole wheat or gluten-free spaghetti
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
½ cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
½ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook according to package direction, stirring occasionally, until just tender. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken, setting aside. Add an additional 1 tablespoon olive oil to the pan. Add the garlic and cook until golden but not browned, stirring often, about 30 seconds.
- Add the asparagus, tomatoes, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken stock, add the chicken back to the pan, and simmer everything together on medium for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the cooked, drained pasta to the pan, tossing to combine. If the sauce is a bit dry, add a splash more chicken stock. Drizzle with lemon juice, sprinkle with basil and parsley. Taste and add additional salt or lemon juice if you like. Serve warm.
Replace the chicken with a can of rinsed, drained white beans for a vegetarian version.
Swap in ground turkey for the chicken.
Use green beans or sugar snap peas in place of the asparagus.
Serve each part of the dish separately for resistant eaters. Think pasta with a drizzle of olive oil or a little butter, cooked chicken, and a few raw cherry tomatoes and pieces of cooked asparagus.